Monday, December 22, 2008

I made your favorite Christmas treat today!

My Grandma Hardie knew the way to Mike's heart...through his sweet tooth! She made sure to make these Caramel Morsel Bars every year at Christmastime because she knew they were Mike's favorites.

They're now our favorites.

I just made these bars today and, of course, I thought of Mike.


Here's the recipe.

Ingredients:

14-oz. bag KRAFT Caramels
3 TBSP water
5 cups crisp rice cereal or toasted oat cereal (I use crisp rice)
1 cup peanuts, optional
One 6-oz. pkg. (1 cup) semi-sweet chocolate chips
One 6-oz. pkg. (1 cup) butterscotch chips

Directions:

Melt caramels with water in saucepan (or double boiler) over low heat. Stir frequently until sauce is smooth. Pour over cereal and nuts; toss until well coated. With greased fingers, press mixture into greased 9” x 13” pan. Sprinkle morsels on top; place in 200 degree oven for 7 minutes, or until morsels softened. Spread softened morsels until blended to form a frosting. Cool, cut into bars.

Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

Gemma said...

I am the grandmother of Peanut and Pumpkin, aka--Gemma. Just wanted to you to know I found your memory blog, and have read the whole thing. My very belated sympathy on the death of your beloved brother. It must be hard for you every day. As a former teacher, he was actually the kind of student that I loved!